Starting your day with a cup of warm, refreshing drink has great impact on the entire day’s metabolic rate and body functions is popular belief. However, there is not much thought given to one’s own body’s needs before we reach out for that hot brew- may it be tea, coffee, green tea or simply a cup of hot water with anything and everything added to it for fitness.
So how can one identify which morning brew is best suited to your body type. Following anything your friends and colleagues mention may not really be the best option for you. After all you are different and so are your needs and desires. So let’s find out the top 5 healthy morning brews we should indulge in as per our body type and needs-
Top 5 Hot waters most people choose for their Morning Brew:-
1) Hot water with cinnamon powder –
Recommended – Ideal for those looking for weight loss as it boosts metabolism , helps to treat diabetes, cholesterol & lowers LDL. Cinnamon is a powerful spice which is rich in fiber, loaded with antioxidants, special phenolic compounds and flavonoids which combat inflammation. Advisable for age group 20-45yrs to consume early morning empty stomach.
Not recommended – Cinnamon as a spice is a very powerful and a heat generating spice, so should not be consumed for those who already have extra heat in the system, in cases of severe acidity and weak digestion.
2) Hot water with lemon & honey –
Recommended -Ideal for those who face problem of indigestion & bloating as this drink helps to cleanse the liver. It is also ideal for those who face severe water retention and high BP as it helps to flush out toxins and wastes from the body, fights against infections and promotes clear skin leaving it acne free.
Not recommended– This drink is an antiseptic wash which does not have any side effects but is not advisable for diabetics with high fasting sugar levels, neither does it support weight loss.
3) Hot water with fresh turmeric & ginger – for Immunity
Recommended– This empty stomach morning brew is ideal for those suffering from recurrent throat infection, arthritis & indigestion. It also helps in quick wound healing, boosts immunity levels & prevents skin allergies. This drink can be administered in the winters & rainy season to prevent ENT infections.
Not recommended- It should be avoided in case of people suffering from hypertension, since turmeric act as a blood thinner, also should be avoided in case one faces frequent episodes of diarrhoea or nausea as it irritates the gastrointestinal lining.
4) Hot water with Aloe vera, Amla, Wheat grass –
Recommended -This drink helps to detoxify and purify the blood, supplies and aids in absorption of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants and is also an effective energizer and a health rejuvenator for effectively improving hair and skin.
Not recommended- It should be avoided in case of people suffering from frequent sinusitis, morning wheezing, asthma, prone to infections with cold foods , sensitive gut or weak digestive system.
5) Hot water with ayurvedic herbs, seeds & spices – For constipation
Recommended Most people consume various ayurvedic herbs like triphala, ashwagandha, basil, neem, bitter gourd, melon seeds, fenugreeek seeds etc which are specific to alleviate constipation, heartburn, , blood pressure, diabetes and other gastric conditions. Hence, these possess medicinal properties and should be consumed only if advised.
Not recommended- It should be avoided without prescription from your health practitioner as these may cause yo yo in blood sugar, blood pressure, mood swings, increase cravings, headaches, migraines and irritability if not consumed in correct proportions and combinations.
Other Morning brews could be Green Tea , White Tea, Flavoured Organic Herbal Teas and coffees which are lower on tannic acid and caffeine to keep system calm and clean through the day. So sip your good health as per your needs and make your morning brew your power meal of the day for a healthier lifestyle.
It is very important to know how one starts off the day and ends it as that holds greater impact on overall health and the feel good factor.
With the overnight fasting and early morning dehydration, it’s very essential to hydrate your system well ,activate it, boost the metabolic rate & cleanse it.
It is the most common practice to start the day with a cup of hot tea/ coffee as it is very refreshing and makes one feel active and alert but the caffeine present in tea/ coffee affects the system functions and metabolism in various ways :
- Drinking tea on empty stomach affects the acid/ alkali balance in the stomach and thereby disturbs the metabolic activities throughout the day.
- It acts as a natural diuretic flushing out more water from the body thereby worsening the dehydration level early morning.
- Though caffeine is known to give early energy boost, but consuming it empty stomach may also lead to feeling of nausea, dizziness, stomach upset or bloating.
So, it is very important to start your day with a refreshing health drink that is alkaline in nature with a fantastic metabolic booster and superb spark of energy that will help the system to ease out and function smoothly throughout the day.
HEALTHY MORNING BREWS:
1. Lemon & ginger and mint warm water – It helps to cleanse the liver, perfect digestive aid, helps to boost immunity, refreshing drink early morning, great supply of vitamin C and anti -inflammatory in nature.
2. Almond Milk – This creamy, nutty and nutritious flavoured milk is low in calories, good source of calcium helps to strengthen the bones , also rich in manganese and Vitamin E helps to improve skin texture and hydration levels, & a perfect choice for lactose intolerant people.
3. Frozen berries & ginger smoothie – Perfect natural blend of antioxidants, sugar, fiber and energy to boost the metabolism and helps to enhance the immunity levels. One can make it a more filling one by adding a scoop of whey protein.
4. Amla, Aloevera & Wheatgrass juice – Detoxifies and purify the blood , supplies with a good dose of various vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, effective energizer and a health rejuvenator, very effective to improve hair and skin health too.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar Juice – It contributes in making the system more alkaline, also has various antibacterial properties thereby help to fight against infections. This juice is rich in both fibre and antioxidant content and also very effective in lowering the blood sugar and cholesterol levels.
6. Coconut water – This nutrient rich beverage has various health benefits like it helps to improve intestinal health,naturally detox and improves immune system. Also a fantastic drink for patients with high BP as the high potassium content in it helps to combat high sodium levels.
7. Hot water with a pinch of cinnamon & honey – The combination of cinnamon and honey has been used since ancient times contributing to its various health benefits which includes weight loss, fantastic metabolic booster, helps to keep blood sugar levels under great control, also has various healing and antimicrobial properties, promotes digestion.